Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
>
> > Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
> >
> >> The point is that the ftpmasters don't want to play host to various
> >> ports that *aren't* yet matured to the point of usability, where "being
> >> able to run a buildd" is regarded as a key element of usability in the
> >> port bootstrapping process.  The amd64 team have certainly shown that
> >> it's possible to get to that point without being distributed from the
> >> main debian.org mirror network.
> >
> > Speaking of the mirror network is a red-herring.  Mirrors are not
> > forced to distribute every arch; they can and should eliminate archs
> > they aren't interested in distributing.
>
> They are. That is mirror policy for primary mirrors. That is the
> reason why amd64 is not in sid and consequently not in sarge.

Sorry, I'm speaking in term of possible future policies, not the
present.

Create i386.us.debian.org, powerpc.us.debian.org,
amd64.us.debian.org, etc.  Each of them points to the existing
mirrors.  Make the installer set up sources.list to specify those
names.  Mirrors can carry what they want, provided the DNS admin knows
what they are carrying.

It's about ten minutes work.

Thomas