On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 10:42:50PM +1000, Alexander Zangerl wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:30:20 +1100, Hamish Moffatt writes:
> >OK, that makes sense. Can you buy those architectures new? (Surely yes
> >in the case of s390 at least, probably mipsel also as the mips CPU
> >manufacturers are alive and well.)
>
> Why should we start following some greedy manufacturers' EOL decisions?
> How and why does X being sold affect the lack of manufacturer support
> (that's available without signing an NDA and thus is of interest to
> us)?

I see it as more a practical consideration. If you can't buy the
hardware new then you will have trouble keeping up with a growing unstable,
especially given the requirement that you need <= 2 buildds.

Also once an architecture is no longer available new its popularity will
drop. This criteria doesn't discriminate - in 1-2 years, you will not be
able to buy i386 new either!

Now ia64 is available new but might fail the > 50 users test ;-)

Hamish