Re: automake/autoconf in build-dependencies

* Henning Makholm

| When I provide a configure script in the source package it means, on
| the contrary, that I *have* tried it and therefore has some kind of
| evidence that it will probably work for other people too.

You have probably only tried it on one architecture.

A lot of the bugs I see as a porter are of the type «something in
$foo's configure script didn't pick up $bar, which breaks
spectacularly somewhere later».  Stuff like #175491 which made
evolution(!) with a SIGFPE before main or _init.

To a certain degree, those would have been fixed if people
build-depended on auto*, as they would have picked up fixed versions
of the .m4 files.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-