Re: buildd queue starvation (Was: Re: Do not make gratuitous source uploads just to provoke the buildds!)

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> writes:

> None of the documentation calls it a 'queue', in fact; only people not
> really involved in buildd stuff do.

Does that include you?  In two recent messages, you referred to it as
a queue.

> > I can see excellent reasons why age in the list shouldn't matter.  But
> > package "priority" and "section" are extremely poor bases to decide
> > what the actual importance of a package is.
>
> Why would that be the case? You're telling me you think gnome-games is
> way more important than gcc for us to build?

No.  I'm saying that when priorities are marked badly, the results are
disastrous.  I'm also saying that a static ordering produces a
perverse incentive, especially when a priority is marked badly, not to
upload fixes for any other package.

Thomas