Re: Shouldn't kernel-image-2.6.x-y-z depend on alsa-base ?

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 12:01:47PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 05 mars 2005 à 00:44 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :
> > Exactly. I don't have alsa-base installed on any of my 2.6.x systems
> > and some of them have sound and some don't. None of them have
> > problems.

> > A depends would be too strong. A recommends/suggests should be there.

> I'm only pointing the issue. When you install a brand new sarge system,
> sound doesn't work correctly on many kinds of hardware, because both OSS
> and ALSA modules are loaded. Adding a Depends: is only a possible
> solution, I'm sure there are better choices. However, I feel we
> shouldn't release in this state after having spent so much efforts in
> hardware detection.

Hmm. I would think that the better solution (the less surprising
solution) would be to leave out the ALSA modules from the Debian
kernel package, since we have a seperate package of ALSA modules
which _does_ depend on alsa-base.

Then a "desktop" install could offer to include them, and a non-
"desktop" install could leave them out by default, or something.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.