announcing first release of common database infrastructure package

hey folks,

you might remember some time ago i started a thread[1] or two[2] about
developing a consistant policy/feel for how database (more specifically
rdbms) application packages should work.  well, since then i've spent
a lot of time working on both a 'best practices' document as well as
a debian developer toolkit for easily implementing the previously
mentioned suggestions.

dbconfig-common abstracts almost 100% of the database-maintainance
related work into a common package that can be used by any package
maintainer.  it consolidates efforts, code, and bugs into a single
more easily maintainable place, provides for an easier experience
on the part of the developer, and a more integrated experience for
the end-user/admin.

anyway, i've uploaded my first "public" release of dbconfig-common
to experimental.  minus a couple bells and whistles (and probably
plus a bunch of undiscovered bugs), it's pretty much feature complete for
what's mentioned on my webpage[3], so at this point i'd like to call for
some brave volunteers.

anyone who is tired of having to spend hours maintaining their
home-rolled mysql/pgsql mangement maintainer script code is whole
heartedly encouraged to check this out!

	sean

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/10/msg00340.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/10/msg00962.html