Re: self-depending packages

On 20050227T214242+0100, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
> My understanding is that a self-depending package must be configured
> before it can be configured, which makes it unconfigurable, and hence
> uninstallable. And I think the same reasoning can be applied to
> circular dependencies. But Loic disagrees.

Self-dependencies are harmless but ugly.  Circular dependencies are
sometimes (though very seldom) necessary (most of the time the same
effect can be got from a -common package).  Dpkg tries to break the
cycle at the least problemous point, for example configuring a package
with no postinst first.

> Should a bug be filed against those packages?

Minor severity at most, IMHO.

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Debian developer

http://kaijanaho.info/antti-juhani/blog/en/debian