Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ... (Was: [Fwd: Re: GTK+2.0 2.6.2-3 and buildds running out of space])

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 10:57:47PM +0000, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Clint Byrum <cbyrum <at> spamaps.org> writes:
> > Now, can someone please tell me how messages like the one below, and
> > others, aren't indicative that debian should drop s390, mipsel, and
> > maybe hppa from the list of architectures? How about we release for
> > i386, sparc, and powerpc, and let the others release on their own
> > schedule? This business of supporting 11 architectures and making sure
> > they're all 100% right before releasing is just about the worst idea
> > ever.
>
> Still, the hours we maste on fixing, building, maintaining, ... code on
> unused platforms is hysterical waste of resources. Resources we don't
> really have.

I'd like to see your numbers on how many manhours have been wasted in the
past, say, 6 months on fixing code on unused platforms which would have gone
into other things had those architectures not been in Debian.

- Matt