Re: About valid and invalid user names

[Marc Haber]
> adduser has two bug reports open where people are asking for user name
> rules to be relaxed. One report wants "." to be allowed in user names,
> another wants usernames to start with numbers.
>
> May I ask for your opinion before denying or following the requests?

Personally, I prefer to stick to the POSIX minimum requirements (max 8
chars), and limit usernames to [a-z][a-z0-9].  I would prefer the
default in adduser to enforce such limit, but see the convinience of
others with a different view to be able to configure adduser to allow
more relaxed rules.  Because of this, I would suggest making it
_possible_ to relax the rules by updating the configuration file, but
leave the default as they are at the moment.