Re: About valid and invalid user names

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 01:38:36PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> adduser has two bug reports open where people are asking for user name
> rules to be relaxed. One report wants "." to be allowed in user names,
> another wants usernames to start with numbers.
>
> May I ask for your opinion before denying or following the requests?
>
> Greetings
> Marc

I think the discussion came up earlier here. IIRC the conclusion was
that it could be relaxed for .'s (don't know about numbers). Although
it can cause confusion with chown a.b format. But chown should now be
patched to behave correctly on chown a.a:b.b (eg username and group name
separated by ':'). At least that's how I remember it. Can somebody
verify this?

greets,
Wim