Re: Debian mirror scripts

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> otto.wyss@orpatec.ch (Otto Wyss) writes:

> > I guess mirrorer doesn't care for bandwith saving as DpartialMirror,
> > correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Currently it will always redownload the Packages/Sources files as gzip
> on every update to fix a bug in the apt methods. But I already
> suggested only updating those that don't match the Release file. And,
> unless you have an rsync method for apt, it won't rsync files.

Why there isn't there already a rsync method for apt is probably a
mystery nobody ever will solve.

> While rsyncing the Packages files sounds like a good idea to save
> traffic it actualy is a bit insignificant compared to the daily
> traffic of new sources and debs.

Do you mean there are up to 100 new packages each day? I get between 50
- 150 packages updated each day for just i386. Or do you mean there are
100 new versions? DpartialMirror handles new versions of packages
(sources and deps) in a way it save about 1% even when the packages are
normal gzip'ed. It would save around 10% - 50% with rsyncable.

Is there any plan to add this feature to mirrored?

O. Wyss

--
Development of frame buffer drivers: http://linux-fbdev.sf.net
Sample code snippets for wxWidgets: http://wxcode.sf.net