Re: NEW queue and ftp-master approval

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> schrieb:

> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
>> Overall, in my eyes, the question becomes: Does Debian trust DDs not
>> to add debs with silly names to existing sources?
>
> I recently was very mistaken about the proper way to deal with a
> confusing (to me) solib change, combined with a mistaken upload.  If
> there had not been checking of the new binary package name (and some
> other related problems) then this would never even have been noticed.

Yes, I also think that such a check is a good thing. But what about the
delayed scheme that has been suggested previously? I am Cc-ing
ftp-masters, in case they are not aware of this discussion on -devel

- If a package is uploaded that is unknown, it is moved to the NEW
  queue.

- If a package is uploaded that contains new binary packages, it is
  moved to a special area of the NEW queue.

- It stays there for $number days, giving the ftp-masters the
  opportunity to have a look at it

- If the ftp-masters approve the name change / package split, they just
  do nothing, and the package is installed to its target distribution
  after $number days

- If the ftp-masters have doubts, they move the package to the
  ordinary NEW queue and contact the maintainer.

It would be up to the ftp-masters to set $number; probably 3 is a little
low given the current speed of NEW processing (although deciding "have
to look closer"/"don't have to look closer" should be rather fast), but
5 might fit. Or they can configure it, depending on their workload and
the number of packages entering NEW.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster