Re: scripts to download porn in Debian?

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 09:32 -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> >
> > > Parents are *supposed* to censor what their children see.
> > >
> > > They are also supposed to educate their children.
> >
> > Yes, but it's the job of *parents* to do that.  If you want me to do
> > it for you, you'll have to pay me.
>
> "They" refers to "Parents".  Note the "their children" part.
>
> How could you not see that?

I'm not angry.  I'm in fact a huge advocate of public education, which
is for the benefit of everyone.  But if you send your kids to public
school, you cede the authority to determine what they are taught.
That's the trade-off.  I support public education because it is for
the benefit of everyone, but that's only true if your kids are taught
well.  So I wouldn't support a system in which, say, only parents got
to vote for the school board, or in which parents can pull their kids
out of biology class because they don't like evolution.

I think that censoring your kids from seeing a comic strip is not
beneficial to them, and is lazy parenting.  But it's your choice, you
can censor it if you wish.  But it is not my job to go out of my way
to do it for you or assist you in a choice that I think may be hurting
your kid.

Of course, the actual decision is up to the package maintainer.  Why
it's being talked about here is beyond me.

Thomas