Re: More on icons for packages

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:52:48 +0100
Tim Dijkstra <newsuser@famdijkstra.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:18:39 -0500
> "Dale C. Scheetz" <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
>
> > > Thus it might be even better to define a policy the following way:
> > >
> > >    1. Put all XPMs for the use in Debian-Menu into
> > >         /usr/share/menu/pixmaps
> > >    2. Put all PNGs (and others) into /usr/share/pixmaps if they are
> > >       intended for applications which follow freedesktop.org
> > >       specification
> >
> > I don't really see a need for the split. All menu icons should be xpm
> > so any other icons are for some other purpose.
>
> I think the point is we don't want to be stuck we xpm till eternity.
> Especially because we have window/desktop managers that support better
> formats like png or svg for example and programs supplying them.

My point was that it doesn't matter that this location is reserved for menu icons. There is no reason not to put other icons there as well, since all menu icons are xpm there should be no confusion. There is nothing in the menu spec that says only menu icons can go in this location. (in any case icons other than xpm in /usr/share/pixmaps is already the case) When and if xpms are no longer used for menus there will still be a need for icons in some format and this has become the defacto location. (I realize that the very name pixmaps implies xpm but as an abreviation for pixel maps it could refer to any mapping of pixels, not just xpm...

My complaint was about the many and varied locations in which you might find an icon. Creating multiple locations one for this sort, another for a different sort is exactly the situation that now exists with some packages putting them in /usr/share/package-name/icons and all its variations, some in /usr/share/pixmaps and other locations I have yet to discover. I am assuming that the icons I find in /usr/share/icons are either gnome or KDE graphics elements. (my machines only have gnome icons here as I don't use KDE)

Well, this turned out longer than I expected ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf