Re: scripts to download porn in Debian?

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 03:38 +0100, Uwe A. P. Wuerdinger wrote:
> Ron Johnson schrieb:
> > On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 12:34 +0200, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
>
> [-snip-]
>
> > And yes, I've already thought of that.  However, I'd rather some
> > things (URLs, in this case) not be dropped my children's laps,
> > even though they could be blocked further upstream.
> >
> > When they start to get curious about such things, let 'em learn
> > about porn the old fashioned way... ;)
>
> Looks like an other round of underestimating children and censorship is
> coming up.

Parents are *supposed* to censor what their children see.

They are also supposed to educate their children.

The balance between censorship and education is different at
every age and for each child.  And, for a given child at a given
age, the censorship/education balance is different for each kind
of topic.

> 1. Kids are smarter than most of us think.
> When they are not interested in (say porn) they'll ignore it and or
> complain about it.
>
> 2. If they are interested they outsmart most parents anyway[1].
>
> [1] Whena 13 year old starts to ask smart questions about how that
> web censor stuff in china works one should think twice about explaining
> it or et least get a foot in the door for a share of the money he'll
> make by selling his classmates anonymizing service.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"All machines, no matter how complex, are considered to be based
on 6 simple elements: the lever, the pulley, the wheel and axle,
the screw, the wedge and the inclined plane."
Marilyn Vos Savant