Re: scripts to download porn in Debian?

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 23:08, Tristan Seligmann wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 22:34:12 +0100, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> > every parent [1] will have to go through the list of available comics,
> > evaluate them and disable them.
>
> They'll have to do this anyway if they're not satisfied with whatever
> the defaults are.

yes, but by making it easy for groups of people [1] to create groupings,
they  can divide the amount of work necesary over a number of people, and
similar minded folks that come along later can just use a ready made list.

[1] note that I'm not suggesting you create those categories, IMO that's
best left up to whatever person/special interest  group thinks a certain
categorization is worthwile, you just provide the mechanism that allows
them to easily scratch their itch.

> This all seems like major overkill. Does anyone really need this kind of
> fine-grained control over disabling comic modules? If you just want
> Dutch comics, then don't download anything except Dutch comics;

ok, but how do I know what the Dutch comics are?

Dosage does not (yet) contain an unwieldy number of comics. Though looking
at the changelog [2] there are already close to a 100 supported comics,
with that number rising rapidly. I have no Idea how many web comics there
are, but likely several thousands (if not more), and ideally dosage would
support them all, no?

As the number of available comics grows, so does the utility of being able
to categorize those comics (and say limiting myself to those comics in
languages I/my kids understand)

[2] The changelog doesn't include dates, so I'm not sure, but sofar I got
the impression that this is still a very young piece of software

> the typical use case is to run "dosage -c @" from a cronjob, which will
> update the comics that are already present in your comics directory.

easy enough /once you've made your selection from the available comics/.
This doesn't help with deciding which of the (potentially great number) of
supported comics you're interested in.

> Categorization along these lines is quite a subjective issue;

see [1] above

> perhaps having comics organized into categories is useful, but I'm not
> sure that supporting it along the lines you've described is worth the
> complexity.

the only thing that my proposal changes is the initialization routine of the
list of comics dosage shows, surely this is not overly complex? Depending
on configuration you either:
  1) start with all comics, excluding unwanted subsets
         2) start with nothing and only include wanted subsets
         3) start with a list of wanted subsets, and exclude unwanted
             subsets (this option might be going a bit far, but still easy
             enought to do I think)
1 should be the package default IMO, 3 would be nice but 1 and 2 would be
sufficient
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)