Re: scripts to download porn in Debian?

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:55:19 +0100, Jesus Climent
<jesus.climent@hispalinux.es> wrote:
> At no time Debian should be censoring any content for innapropiate. Every
> single bit of information has an audience which might feel offended by it.

I'm mostly just a lurker on debian-devel, but as someone who is very
interested in seeing Debian succeed, I feel obligated to speak out
here.  This thread isn't the first that has erupted as of late
regarding "objectionable" content (hot-babe being the other example
that comes to mind).  Each time it seems there has been a vocal group
opposed to the inclusion of such software within Debian.

I agree whole-heartedly with Jesus here.  In no way should Debian try
to step in and filter or condemn content.  Our goal is to support free
software, not to enforce our beliefs or judgements about suitability
of content upon others.  If the software in question is free according
to the DFSG, it should be allowed into Debian, without question.

I could see a case being made for ensuring that package descriptions
are suitable.  For instance, if this package's primary purpose is to
download pornographic comics, it should state such clearly within the
package description.  I haven't checked out this package very closely,
so it could just be that dosage can download all manner of comics from
the internet, some of which happen to be pornographic.  If that is the
case, then a possible disclaimer in the long package description could
be appropriate.  Something along the lines of:  "Some of the comics
supported by dosage contain content which may be found objectionable
or unsuitable for children."  But in no way should we block such
packages from being included within Debian.

Anthony W. Juckel