Re: NPTL support in 2.4 kernel series?

    Lars> (because people might want to install the package anyway,
    Lars> and only use it when they are running the proper kernel)

This is IMHO an important point.

Consider udev. I believe you can still install it on a 2.4 kernel, but
IIRC you get a message saying it will only work if you boot a kernel
at or later then 2.6.8.

This is the correct approach IMHO.

Maybe some packages may need a way to back out of the installation of
the administrators decides they still need the application working
before doing a kernel upgrade.

Also note that just because a kernel is installed doesn't mean it is
working (I have 2.6.8-2-k7 Debian kernel installed on this computer
but it does not boot and I still have to investigate why - I suspect
some sort of initrd/RAID issue).

Even if the running kernel version is the right one doesn't mean the
system administrator isn't going to diagnose some serious problem with
the new version that requires a downgrade (hopefully this isn't too
frequent).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>