Re: Dependencies on kernel-image-x.y [was: NPTL support in kernel 2.4 series]

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <ajk <at> debian.org> writes:

> The situation here is analoguous to the question whether an X
> installation should depend on fonts: such a dependency would document
> the dependency on inherent in X, yet we don't do that, because there are
> reasonable setups of X where the fonts are provided outside the
> packaging system's knowledge.

Ok, it seems I had a much stricter idea of what should be under the
control of the package management system than is accepted practice in
debian. I am now realizing that kernel packages are not the only
thing that need not register with dpkg.

Thanks for the clarification.

Martin.