Do all frontends use the dpkg binary?

Hi DD folken,
I simple question.

In my quest to log package installation, I wrote a wrapper script for
dpkg. I 'mv dpkg dpkg.real' and 'vi dpkg' with a wrapper[0]. When I use
aptitude and apt-get, these commands seem to call dpkg for all of there
package installation and query needs. Do others (wajig,feta,...)
use '/usr/bin/dpkg' for installing packages or do they use a library?
obviously if they do, then my script will not log everything.

Also, is there a way to avoid a dpkg upgrade overwriting /usr/bin/dpkg
and (IIRC) divert /usr/bin/dpkg -> /usr/bin/dpkg.real, so that I dont
have to remember to redo this step?

with red swirly regards,
-Kev

[0] script
------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
if [ -w /var/log/dpkg.log ]; then
	echo "$(date) dpkg $@" >> /var/log/dpkg.log
fi
dpkg.real $@
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||