Re: NPTL support in 2.4 kernel series?

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>>As far as I know there is no NPTL support in 2.4 debian kernels (as for
>>example in some RedHat 2.4 kernels). Is that correct?
>>In that case I will have to add a dependency on kernel-image-2.6
>
> Bad idea. On my systems, there is no kernel-image installed at all-
> I compile them myself. I bet I'm not the only one.

That's what I do, too. But I am using kernel-package to compile my kernels, so
that in the end I am having a package installed that correctly provides the
dependency I need.

> You can check in the preinst if the running kernel is new enough,
> but that is about all you can do.

But this happens only after you have downloaded the whole package and leaves you
with a broken one. So I don't think that would be an acceptable solution.

Best wishes,

Martin.