Re: Editing history... (about debian/changelog in experimental)

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 01:01:34PM -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> ... or put an entry in the latest changelog block with a parenthetical
> remark saying that bug was actually fixed by version x.y-z.

I've seen this done more often, and frankly, in my opinion this really
is ugly. There is text in a changelog entry that has _nothing_ to do
with that particular revision, better close the bug manually by just
quoting the older changelog entry, or if it wasn't in the older
changelog entry, just say it was fixed there.

Branden Robinson told me that he does changelog editing of past
revisions continuously for X, for reasons of being able to correctly
lookup when a certain bug was fixed. Especially typo's in bugnumber for
example can make a changelog quite useless if I want to determine when a
certain bug was fixed, and a correct changelog makes it very easy to
close bugs that were fixed some time ago by quoting the relevant
changelog entry.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar