Re: Editing history... (about debian/changelog in experimental)

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 05:10:39PM +0100, Frank K?ster wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> it seems to be consensus that one should generally not "correct" older
> changelog entries, like adding (closes: #...) if it turns out later that
> this bug had been closed by this release.  I am wondering whether there
> is an exception to this rule, namely packages in experimental. The
> changelog of tetex-base in experimental looks like this:

Eh, I don't think there is consensus, I for one, think it's perfectly
acceptible to correct (and/or make additions to) older changelog
entries. It is a log of changes, and its main purpose is to list the
changes for each revision. Especially correcting typo's seems sane to me
to prevent future confusion, but also adding that a certain bug is fixed
in version X makes sense, if it was forgotten to mention it then. This
makes it easier if people later want to check when a certain bug was
fixed.

In the case of experimental uploads, as experimental was never part of a
official suite for 'regular' users, I see no problem in for example not
at all copying all of the experimental changelog entries, but just
listing the changes w.r.t. previous unstable. Especially if experimental
version had quite a number of upload & fix iterations, all that
information is of no interest to the general user.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl