Re: rudeness in general

On 12-Jan-05, 02:05 (CST), Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
> Being part of a community or not being paid is not a valid excuse for
> being rude to others.  I happen to be part of this community too, and
> I do not treasure being rude as a positive side of the debian
> community.

But community standards determine what the definition of "rudeness"
is. In particular, someone coming in from the outside does not get
to immediately redefine how everyone else in the community expresses
themselves.

And yes, community standards can and do change. But they don't get
changed by people whining about them; they get changed by the members
behaving differently.

> I can't claim to speak for debian-devel as a whole (as I get the
> impression you are doing above),

Not my intention at all. I was trying to make an observation about the
general character of the debian-devel community. Of course there are
exceptions, and a complete range of behaviours.

Look, I'm saying everyone does or should refer to their fellows as "you
dickhead". But I am saying (for example) that "RTFM" may be an acronym
containing a word that some consider unpolite, but is, in general, used
by most community members as a shorthand for "this is written down
already, please use the resources available to you." In the *vast*
majority of the uses I've seen, "RTFM" is accompanied by a reference to
the FM which needs to be R'd.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland