Re: installing udev without rebooting

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 20:18 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Currently, after installing udev a reboot is needed to let the init
> script safely mount the tmpfs over /dev. This sucks, and I'm asking for

Why does it suck?  I get a hard-on from triple digit uptime days
just as much as the next geek, but there's no need to get anal
about it.

This is the filesystem were talking about, not something "trivial"
like libc6, after all.

> suggestions about what I need to do to make reboot-less installation
> possible.
>
> So far, I know that I need to:
> - mount --move /dev/pts and /dev/shm somewhere else
> - mount the tmpfs
> - move back --move /dev/pts and /dev/shm
> - run udevstart
> - restart gpm (for the /dev/gpmdata pipe) and syslogd (for the /dev/log
>   socket)
>
> Should I just ignore races?

<snicker>

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Our computers and their computers are the same color. The
conversion should be no problem!"
Unknown