Re: Sarge and bttv-alsa-artsd problem

On 2004-12-18 "Marios K." <marios_hellas_23@yahoo.gr> wrote:
> I just installed debian sarge. My system has onboard via8233 sound card
> and one pci tv card (Pixelview Playtv). With the default kernel 2.4.27
> (i386,686,k7 versions) everything works fine and i have sound
> everywhere. With apt-get install, i installed alsa-base and kernel
> 2.6.8-k7

> When i boot with kernel 2.6.8 and kde starts this message appears

> Sound server informational message:
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)
> The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

> Playing a little with xmms, i forced it to use the hw(1,0) card so i can
> hear sound in xmms, but no sound at all at kde.

> If i write alsamixer -c 0 comes the mixewr for the bttv card, and if i
> write alsamixer -c 1 the mixer for the via 8233.
[...]
> It is probably confilct with tv card and sound card with default sound,
> but i can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Hello,
That is simply caused by the fact that the driver for the sound-device
on the TV-card is loaded first, but you can tell alsa to make the TV
card the secondary device.

echo 'options snd-bt87x index=1' > /etc/modprobe.d/tvis2ndary
update-modules
             cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"