Re: Naming for OSSP projects in Debian (libraries, dirs)

On Wednesday 15 of December 2004 21:05, you wrote:
> I saw that you also ITP a OSSP (www.ossp.org) project for Debian:
> OSSP uuid. I intent to do the same for OSSP sa. I'm using the sa
> library successful for a small application so my intention is
> make it public for others who intent to do the same too.
>
> I've done already a Debian package and intent to sync the future
> OSSP work with you. The problem I see with OSSP are the too simple
> names e.g. libsa or libuuid. The header files are also installed
> by default in /usr/include. This will lead in problems for uuid
> more then for sa because Debian provide already more then one
> file with the name uuid.h:
> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=uuid.h&searchmod
>e=searchfiles&case=insensitive&version=unstable&arch=i386

I've uploaded my packages to incoming. You can see them at
http://people.debian.org/~dexter/incoming/

> We run in naming conflicts with other packages sooner or later.
> It would be nice if we can have the same name semantic for this
> two OSSP packages. I would propose:
>
> Header files go to /usr/include/ossp/*, e.g. /usr/include/ossp/{sa,uuid}.h
> Library start with libossp*, e.g. libossp{sa,uuid}*.

In fact I've already done that. The *.h goes to /usr/include/ossp/ and library
name is libossp-uuid.so. There is no problem with names as far as I've
modified /usr/bin/uuid-config.

> The problem is that Debian will become binary incompatible with
> foreign programs base on OSSP libraries :( I hope we find a solution
> that match the requirements of the OSSP project and Debian.

There are no more distributions which release OSSP libraries, AFAIK.

--
 .''`.    Piotr Roszatycki, Netia SA
: :' :    mailto:Piotr_Roszatycki@netia.net.pl