Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:40:29 -0500, Ian Murdock <imurdock@progeny.com>
said:

> If you're having trouble picturing how Debian might engage the LCC,
> here's my ideal scenario: the source packages at the core of Debian
> are maintained in collaboration with the other LCC members, and the
> resulting binaries built from those source packages are made
> available in both RPM and .deb format.

	Hmm. Does this not impede Debian in new directions we may like
 to take the distribution, like, say, making Debian be Se-Linux
 compatible, if we so choose? Fedora core 3 has done it, and it
 requires changes to the kernel, which Debian has accepted, and
 changes to core package, which is an option for Etch? What if the LCC
 members do not decide to do that?

	What happens if the situation is reversed? (LCC decides to go
 with RSBAC while we do not).  Would outsourcing the core packages to
 third parties not make us less nimble (if I can use the word with a
 straight face)?

	manoj
--
Truth has no special time of its own.  Its hour is now --
always. Albert Schweitzer