Re: If you really want Free firmware...

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 05:00:12PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 11:27:45AM -0600, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> > Hamish said, "Manufacturing an ASIC involves NRE...of hundreds of
> > thousands to millions per revision..."

> > You said, "Manufacturing an operating system involves NRE costs of
> > hundreds of thousands to millions per revision... you're quoting Redmond
> > propoganda..."  [This implied that Hamish's numbers were not valid.]

> > (This is the message you just replied to)
> > I said, "Do you have any actual hardware design experience to draw on
> > here...", in reply to your implication about Hamish's numbers.
> >
> > Clear now?
>
> Ah, you misinterpreted my point in quite an impressive way. Valid
> numbers or not, his statement was of the form "Here is how we do it,
> and our way is the only way in which it is possible to do it". And
> we've heard that one before.

You seem to spend a great deal of time criticizing other people's
methods and statements, and very little time analyzing your own.

If you made any effort to back up your statements, it would be more
difficult to misinterpret them.  A good start would be to indicate
exactly which hardware-development-related Redmond propogranda Hamish
was supposedly quoting, rather than relying on this list's innate
distrust of Redmond to make your point for you.  Another good start
would be to honestly answer when people ask your what experience you
have with a subject, rather than silently ignoring the question.

I really don't care about the numbers.  I don't actually even care about
this thread, especially now that Bruce and others have given us numbers
that make most of the discussion moot.  What annoys me is your constant
pounding on other people's credibility, especially since you don't ever
seem to accept anyone else's criticism of your credibility.

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>