Re: If you really want Free firmware...

Kenneth Pronovici wrote:

Aha, I see where you found this in my original note (although you didn't
quote it).  In that paragraph, "thousands of dollars" was just an
example for illustration, although I chose the magnitude of the cost
from one of the links Bruce posted (I recall seeing a $5400 fabrication
cost listed on one of those pages).
For small (50K gates) chips FPGAs are cost-effective and you never have to go to fab. We can put together a development system for 1M gates systems for about $500.

I'm starting smaller than this, and am putting out a $20 device that makes embedded programming really easy for Free Software folks.

   Thanks

   Bruce