Re: strange (or unexplainable) permissions on /var/log/*

also sprach Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> [2004.12.12.1706 +0100]:
>  I think this is "user" as in "userland", simply because this is the
>  default level for programs.

ah, okay.

also sprach Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk> [2004.12.12.1706 +0100]:
> The log buffer can normally be read using the dmesg utility (or
> similar code) as well as via the log file.

yes, this just came up on IRC too. thanks.

maybe it is possible to restrict the syscall in standard Debian the
same way OpenWall does?

i think logs should be 0640 and root:adm throughout. users need no
log files.

`. `'`