Re: LCC and blobs

On 11 Dec 2004, at 1:39 am, Brian Nelson wrote:

As for whether Debian would actually distribute the firmware blobs in
main, I would prefer that we do.  It can be a real pain installing
Debian on a system in which I have to retrieve the firmware from an
external source.  It's only hurting the end-user by making them jump
through more hoops to install Debian, with no obvious benefit.

Hear hear.

  However,
there seems to be a strong movement to make Debian 100% free down to the
last bit.  Reversing this movement is another much more controversial
issue.

If Debian tries to be too rigid, we run a serious risk of consigning ourselves to history, because people just won't install Debian any more if it doesn't work out-of-the-box on most hardware - and the time is pretty much already here that most systems contain at least one component that loads firmware from disk every boot.

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
GPG: 1024/D FC81E159 5BA6 8CD4 2C57 9824 6638  C066 16E2 F4F5 FC81 E159