Re: Linux Core Consortium

Ian Murdock <imurdock@progeny.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 21:17 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> On Dec 09, Ian Murdock <imurdock@progeny.com> wrote:
>> > How does Debian benefit from LCC? It's a route to the ISV and IHV
>> > certifications that Debian has always lacked, and it is the lack of
>>
>> And which I doubt we will get with LCC, since the kernel is the most
>> important piece which needs to be certificated.
>
> The common core will include a common kernel. See the FAQ at
> http://componentizedlinux.org/lsb/: "Importantly, the LCC platform
> will include a common kernel, eliminating one of the largest sources
> of incompatibilities between Linux distributions as
> each vendor incorporates its own potentially incompatible patch sets."

And how will you get the other members to support architectures they
do not support? A common kernel sounds good but we haven't even
managed to common-ify the kernel inside of debian.

And that is without mentioning the non-free ness and license issues
coming up after sarge. The firmware blobs and the like.

Don't get me wrong, I think a common kernel would be great. I just
don't think Debians standards will go well with the commercial
distributions.

MfG
        Goswin