Re: SVG icons

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:25:22AM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 02:06:26PM +0100, Lo?c Minier wrote:
> >
> >  It's defined in the _Menu_ Policy.  I think the people maintaining the
> >  Debian menu system are best placed to tell what should be allowed or
> >  not.
>
> It is precisely because the menu policy does not say anything about
> icons that I brought this up here. 'man menufile' states that an icon
> can be specified but nothing else.

The authoritative document is the menu _manual_:
(/usr/share/doc/menu/menu.txt.gz), section 3.7

An extract from that section:

     Debian package maintainers should ensure that any icons they include
     for use in the Debian menus conform to the following points:

     1.   The icons should be in xpm format.

     2.   The icons may not be larger than 32x32 pixels, although smaller
          sizes are ok.

> Note that svg icons work in a gnome environment. Because gramps is
> a gnome program and upstream will only be distributing an svg icon
> starting with the next major release, I may just stick with that.
> There are usually other issues, though, so I was hoping some wisdom
> could be found on debian-devel.

If your icon is intended to be used with the Debian menu system, it
needs to be in a format acceptable to all window-managers in Debian.
Unfortunately that means XPM currently [until sarge release].

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.