Is Debian a common carrier? Was: package rejection

Andrew Suffield wrote:

Also, in much of the civilised world, once you start doing this you
suddenly acquire a legal responsibility to do it *right*, which you
wouldn't have had if you hadn't tried to do it.
It's more complicated than that. I think what you are talking about is the fact that a common carrier is not responsible for the content that it carries. However, if you edit the content you aren't acting as a common carrier and then you become responsible for it. Some internet providers attempt to act as common carriers, but depending on the context courts have ruled that they are not.

I don't think we have the slightest chance of proving to any court that Debian is a common carrier, given the several inches of policy manual that specify the nature of the content, etc.

   Thanks

   Bruce