Re: Debian package selection depending on user location/belief/society(was bug #283578 hot-babe (AGAIN :-)))

This one time, at band camp, Bruce Perens said:
> Philippe De Swert wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I am just wondering if it is not the responabilty of the actual Debian
> >user not to violate his local laws.
>
> It's the responsibility of people who live in a jurisdiction to not
> break their local laws. Not just users, but everyone involved in any
> way. What is your responsibility as someone who lives elsewhere? In some
> cases the two nations have an extradition treaty. But even if there is
> no such thing, it is inconsiderate to hand the user or mirror operator a
> ticking bomb.

I have to say, this is ridiculous.  Do I, living in the US or Europe,
have to take into account the laws about sensuality (note, not sexuality,
since these pictures barely qualify for that word) that mirror operators
in Iran or Saudi Arabia have?  I can not and will not learn all the laws
of every country on Earth, and the project can not survive if we have
to meet all of them.  This whole thread is a waste of space looking for
a problem.  If there is a demonstrable law being broken by a cartoon,
then warn the mirror operator in the respective localities, if you're
worried about it.

If the package offends you, don't install it - it's not like it's a base
package.  If you are seriously worried about legal repercussions, do the
homework, and warn the people who could be affected.  We already
distribute so many offensive things (purity, fortunes-off, kjv, kernel
sources, etc.) that getting upset about pictures strikes me as silly.
IANAL, so I have no idea of the difference between distributing foul
language or sexual written content to minors and distributing naked
cartoons to minors, but my feeling based on paying attention to the news
is that it's not that difference.  If you really think we can't
distribute anything that can't be seen by somebody, somewhere, then we
are in serious trouble.

Take care,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |