Re: charsets in debian/control

I would not disagree with Peter or Daniel.  They are
right in my view.  However, consider the following
Unicode characters:

  025A LATIN SMALL LETTER SCHWA WITH HOOK
  025E LATIN SMALL LETTER CLOSED REVERSED OPEN E
  0261 LATIN SMALL LETTER SCRIPT G
  0264 LATIN SMALL LETTER RAMS HORN
  0267 LATIN SMALL LETTER HENG WITH HOOK
  027A LATIN SMALL LETTER TURNED R WITH LONG LEG
  027F LATIN SMALL LETTER REVERSED R WITH FISHHOOK
  0285 LATIN SMALL LETTER SQUAT REVERSED ESH
  0295 LATIN LETTER PHARYNGEAL VOICED FRICATIVE
  02A2 LATIN LETTER REVERSED GLOTTAL STOP WITH STROKE
  FF21 FULLWIDTH LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A

We are not speaking of a stricken Polish L, a
double-accented Magyar O, or a euro sign.  We are
speaking of... well, to tell the truth I have no idea
what these letters are.  Have you?  More to the point,
should you and I learn to recognize such letters?
Should we expect basic Latin terminal fonts to cover
them?  Is it reasonable to marginalize the á's and ü's
of Latin-1 by lumping them with the "squat reversed
esh"?

Now, the "squat reversed esh" as such does not bother
me.  If you show me a picture of it and tell me what
language it is for and what sound it makes, then I will
know it.  What is important to me is to preserve the
simple Roman conception of the general-use alphabet in a
reasonable way---not for communication in a particular
language, but rather for clear, compact terminal
representation and for general international use.
Inherent in the concept are the relative fewness of the
available characters and the predictable way they are
arrayed across a page from left to right.

In my view, a terminal which cannot correctly display
the "á" is somewhat broken, and a user who does not
recognize the "á" probably should learn.  I would not
say the same with respect to the "squat reversed esh".
However, this is just my view.

--
Thaddeus H. Black
508 Nellie's Cave Road