Re: Debian's status as a legal entity and how it could effect a potential defense.

Go away and don't come back until you have read the mailing list code
of conduct. I do not need a second copy of this entire sodding thread.

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 09:01:48PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Is Debian a legal entity? The answer is unquestionably yes.

Where do you get these ideas? Debian is unquestionably not a legal
entity.

> An unincorporated association is what your organization is until you go
> through a legal process to change it into something else. It is a legal
> entity. It can sue and be sued, and its members can be criminally
> prosecuted in connection with it. It passes most of its liability on to
> the people associated with it. We don't have any hope of proving that
> Debian is not an organization.

Guilt by association went out with the middle ages, along with witch
hunts. These days you cannot be held responsible for events beyond
your control. And Debian was carefully built in a manner that prevents
any question of one developer controlling another.

This is precisely what we want and it's also precisely what we
have. Debian is a loose aggregation of individuals who are
individually responsible for their own actions.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |