Re: Filename conflict: /usr/bin/dstat (dstat and sleuthkit)

On Friday 26 November 2004 05.15, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Andrew Pollock said:
> > I recently packaged dstat[1], and after it was accepted, an RC bug was
> > filed because sleuthkit already provided a (completely unrelated)
> > /usr/bin/dstat (my bad for not checking beforehand).
>
> Put one of them in /usr/sbin/?

IMHO a very, very bad idea - so I script something depending on dstat, and
then, when the script is run by cron, it suddenly doesn't work anymore or
does something extremely unexpected just because /usr/bin and /usr/sbin
were in the 'wrong' order...

(Hmmm. Let's write a text editor for sysadmins called /usr/sbin/rm ... ;-)

-- vbi

--
TODO: apt-get install signify