Re: Proposal: su-to-root should be replaced with a system managed by alternatives.

Op wo, 24-11-2004 te 16:22 +0300, schreef Nikita V. Youshchenko:
> Why you are posting to me and not to list?
>

> > > IMHO it's not a case for alternatives.
> >
> > I'd say it most definitely is.
>
> It's not at least because alternatives should be compatable at command line
> level.

Granted.

> > Which of the two is the correct one to use depends on system policy;
>
> It depends on what for it is being used, not on system policy.
>
> Script in /etc/cron.daily will hardly use sudo to run a command as non-root
> user. It will use su.
> You will hardly use su to give your user ability to run particular command
> as root. You will use sudo.

We are talking about completely different things here.

The request was about the su-to-root thing, /not/ about going through
each and every use of su vs sudo. Have a look at 'man su-to-root' while
having the 'menu' package installed, if you care.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks