Documentation for upstream software authors

Hi,

I've just started http://wiki.debian.net/SoftwarePackaging, intended to
collect thoughts of packagers how upstream developers can make the life of
a packager easier.

I'm sure all packagers have wondered about "brain-dead" upstream developers
who have not put much thought into how their software might be distributed
in a pre-compiled/pre-configured package.  Compile-time options are one
example, user-modifiable files outside of /etc are another, to name the two
that I could think of just now.

The idea is not to duplicate the Debian policy, but to give upstream
developers an idea how their software can be written to be easily packaged.
I envision this document being generic to all Linux and Unix software
packaging methods and not specific to Debian, despite it being on the
Debian Wiki. (Maybe some BSD or Gentoo ports maintainer are listening here,
too?)

If there already is such a Document, please tell me and/or wipe that page.
No need to duplicate such information, of course.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Boomtime, the 20th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3170