Re: Documentation on handling of orig.tar.gz files for Developer's Reference or for Debian Policy

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 08:07:25PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Hi Bill, hi all,
>
> I'd like to come back to one point of your mail:
>
> Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
>
> > If you have a whole directory of binary files, you might consider
> > making a new source package for them. (For example a Debian theme
> > for a program).
>
> I guess you really wanted to say "making a new, repackaged tar.gz file
> for them".

No I didn't, I really meant a new Debian source package!

>             But wouldn't it be the cleaner approach, at least if it is
> technically possible, to literally follow what you wrote: Create a
> new (Debian native) source package for the theme, the binary package of
> which can be either installed at runtime to change the appearance of the
> program, or used as a build-dependency?

Of course. It is cleaner to make a new source package than to force data
in a source package that do not belong there. Also you will not need
to rebuild one when only the other changes.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.