Re: Documentation on handling of orig.tar.gz files for Developer's Reference or for Debian Policy

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:16:20 +0100, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> said:

> Hi, Am Montag, den 01.11.2004, 10:58 +0100 schrieb Frank Küster:
>> - a README.Debian-source file added to the orig.tar.gz

> I think this is should be done, or any other way that clearly marks
> the .tar.gz as modified (even if only files are removed, it is a
> modification). Anyone downloading a .orig.tar.gz file from debian
> should be able to safely assume that it really is the "original
> .tar.gz". If this for any reason is not right, there should be a
> note attached. The most convenient way to do so is to include a file
> like this in the tar.gz.

	Substitute "source package" for orig.tar.gz , and you have my
 support.  We _should_ docment any deletions we made from the upstream
 sources in our own source package, but I think we should do it
 without munging the upstream source file any further.  Yes, people
 downloading source packages from Debian should not be in the dark,
 but we should not be adding material to the upstream source tarball
 willy nilly.

	manoj
--
All of life is a blur of Republicans and meat!