Re: software updates file in /usr -- policy bug?

For reference, here are two points that came up on IRC:

  - The administrator has no place in /usr, it's the package
    manager's domain.

  - Tools keep MD5 sums for files installed. When a file in /usr
    changes, it is usually an indication of something fishy; thus,
    certain programmes will fire alarms.

Lastly, the policy promises that /usr can be read-only and
guarantees software to be fully functional.

`. `'`