Re: Xsession doesn't use umask setting from /etc/login.defs

[Redirecting to debian-devel; followups set.]

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 02:29:32PM +0200, Wouter Hanegraaff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a fresh sarge install, I'm having problems with umask settings. In
> /etc/login.defs I set umask to 002, and that works for logging in on the
> console or remote via ssh. However, if I use {g,x,k}dm I keep getting an
> umask of 022, because Xsession is started by the display manager which
> has a default umask of 022.
>
> It seems that Xsession doesn't change the UMASK at all. Should it do so?
> If not, which program should set the umask during a graphical login?

Good question.

debian-devel folks, what do you think?  I'm having difficulty deciding how
to think about this issue.

/etc/login.defs explicitly indicates that it is "Configuration control
definitions for the login package", and many of its parameters are
inapplicable to display managers, or already implemented in parallel (e.g.,
how long do wait after a failed login before displaying the prompt/greeter
again?).

By analogy, /etc/environment is a PAM thing and should only be dealt with
by PAM.  (We can't use it anyway since the umask is not an environment
variable.)

* What's the path of least resistance?
* What would violate user expectations the least?
* What would be a good ideal approach, if code changes weren't an issue?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You could wire up a dead rat to a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     DIMM socket and the PC BIOS memory