Re: proposal: 'xterm' alternatives entry

>   > The procedure would be to upload a new 'xterm' package which moves
>   > /usr/bin/xterm to /usr/bin/xterm.real and introduces /usr/bin/xterm

Of course, you mean /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm...

>   Mandrake did something like that a while ago(*) - broke the
>   application name for X resources.

I was also going to point out the issue of X resources.  While
remaining in favor of fixing other applications rather than changing
xterm, I would point out that this issue could be mitigated by having
xterm be moved into another directory so its base name would be the
same.  (I suppose /usr/lib/xterm/xterm could work...)  That said, I am
not able to convince myself that this is an issue here... if I clear
my X resources, set HOME to a temporary directory, copy
/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm (as root, preserving setuid) to /tmp/xterm.real,
and invoke /tmp/xterm.real, I see a client class of UXTerm and a
client name of xterm.  Maybe this is debian-specific?  I thought only
uxterm did that.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>
http://www.ql.org/q/