Re: ITP: cddb.bundle -- CDDB Bundle for GNUstep

* Jeff Teunissen [Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:52:37 -0400]:

> What DOES bug me is mindlessly adding
> "gnustep-" to the names of all packages that use it, because most of the
> developers of those packages have dick to do with some mythical GNUstep
> desktop, which itself does not exist.

  but note that adding "gnustep-" or "gstep-" as prefix to "these"
  packages is/was (from what I've seen so far):

    (a) the preferred solution by a high majority of DD, as to what
        benefits most to  archive namespace clutter.

    *and*

    (b) what can be regarded as most useful for our users (I, at lest,
        think it is, and some other people will as well, I hope).

> In addition to Debian and QuakeForge, I'm involved in a project to create a
> user environment that happens to use the GNUstep libraries. That project is
> called Backbone, and most of what we have done so far is included in Debian
> (the packages preferences.app, terminal.app, and textedit.app).

> We're not GNUstep. One of us is also a member of the GNUstep project, but
> that's not particularly relevant.

  but there must be a close relationship to GNUstep when you have:

    preferences - GNUstep Preferences application
    terminal - Terminal Emulator for GNUstep
    textedit.app - Basic text editor for GNUstep

> Why should packages that are part of the Backbone "desktop" (I use quotes
> because putting a desktop on the root menu makes no sense from our
> perspective), or packages that are simply useful (or not) programs that use
> the GNUstep libraries, be advertised as being "GNUstep programs"? That's
> silly.

  see above. I'd rather see:

    gstep-preferences - GNUstep Preferences application from the Backbone project
    gstep-terminal - Terminal Emulator for GNUstep from the Backbone project
    gstep-textedit - Basic text editor for GNUstep from the Backbone project

  what I fail to see is the reluctance to put gstep- in the name *of*
  *the* *Debian* *package* when (a) "GNUstep" is already there in the
  short description *and* (b) is what most other members of the project
  has been asking for.

  [btw, the mail I'm replying to is the *first* (that I can find)
  containing the "Backbone" word. if this had been mentioned earlier,
  I'm sure it would had made people happier packages with names like
  backbone-$whatever or $whatever-backbone that the current $foo.app.]

enlightenment appreciated,

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.