Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> writes:

> This archive (as-yet-to-be-named.debian.{org,net}) is intended for
> packages that must, because of the nature of the modern internet, change
> more rapidly than the standard release policy allows.  This archive is
> definitely _not_ the security archive, as updates to this archive are
> not intended to address possible compromises of the machine running
> these packages.

Fine, but that's not the point.  I'm worried about destabilizing
changes.  I want to hear a clear and well-articulated account of why
the policy for the security archive should not apply here: or a simple
statement that it will.

That is, that the only changes made will be those for a specific
purpose (name the exact purpose), and that simply including the latest
upstream release (for any purpose) won't be done without looking at
every single difference between that and the current release, and
making sure that every single difference applies to the actual purpose
for making changes.

That is, it's not enough to say "we'll keep the ABI constant", for me
at least.

thomas