Re: Had a talk with an Oracle person yesterday

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 10:01 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 06:37, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> >
> > I'll be interested to see if they're actually sticking to this in 4.5 years
> > time...
> >

> Probably so: they've been hiring many people who understand the
> enterprise software market, and the stability it requires.
>
> At what price is a different question, of course.
>
> And whether this is the most fertile market for Linux is a
> very different question indeed, or whether Debian could/should
> address that market.  One of Linux's major strengths is that
> one size *doesn't* fit all, which has constrained most systems
> immensely.

Thing is with Debian, more than likely, it would be only 2 releases. If
we might convince some commercial entity to entice some rather good
people on the security team to support the stable-1 version for an
additional couple of years, it might be doable. Whereas most others
beside the Enterprise Editions... are Multiples per year.

I doubt it would be difficult for those <Enterprise Software Vendors> to
do dynamic linking and use the features of said versions rather than
features and *undocumented features of specific versions* to gain
stability and/or performance. Either that or provide library stubs so
it'll run typically without issue. Providing Library stubs seems the
best solution *IF* there is difficulty. Oracle already does this with
Java and some other minor things anyway... what would be so hard about
the Library stubs?
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is