Re: reiserfsprogs or progsreiserfs? Reporting a cross-package bug

Em Dom, 2004-09-26 às 14:26 +0200, Wouter Verhelst escreveu:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 12:13:50PM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > At boot, the filesystem check complained that I don't have reiserfs
> > tools installed to perform a filesystem check, so I want to install one.
> > However, there are two: reiserfsprogs and progsreiserfs.
> >
> > In their description, I see nothing that would help me in making the
> > choice: one uses a library, the other doesn't.  But are they updated at
> > the same time?  Are they really, really the same thing, just one uses a
> > library?
>
> No.
>
> Reiserfsprogs is the "official" implementation, created by namesys.
> Progsreiserfs is an alternate implementation. It does the same thing;
> which you use depends on your preference.

As a user, I don't have any idea of difference between the official and
the alternate implementation. And, mainly, *why* there is an alternate
implementation? Is there something buggy in the official? Is the
alternate faster? If both do the same thing, why both exist? There's no
logic in that and I doubt someone outside ReiserFS sphere could select
the best choice (btw, have I done a good choice -- I'm using reiser!)

        Cheers,
                Felipe Almeida Lessa.